Sunday, April 10, 2011

Orchid Thief Shawlette


Orchid Thief Shawlette (Ravelry Link)
Pattern by Ysolda Teague
Found in Brave New Knits (Julie Turjoman)
Yarn used Quince and Co. Tern, 2 skeins in the color Wampum
Needle used was a US 6 circular


The good, the bad and the ugly details:
I used a Quince and Co. yarn which is always a good thing. Tern is a wool/silk blend. It has a slightly tweedy look and beautiful drape. The pattern called for 420 yards, but I had read that knitters were running out of yarn. Two skeins of Tern was 442 yards so I thought I might be okay, but I ran out of yarn with 3 rows left including the bind off row. I thought about ordering another skein, but I just wanted to finish the shawl and I couldn't bring myself to buy another whole skein for three rows.

The Last Three Rows:
I found some finger weight leftovers in my stash. I was worried about the shawl looking granny-ish so I tried to find complimentary colors. I knit two rows with some leftover String Theory hand dyed yarn in a blue color and then bound off with Berroco Alpaca Light in a green color.

There is errata for this pattern. Despite having the correct charts I still found the pattern confusing. That is why I love the Ravelry network. I never could have made this shawl without the help of members that took notes to make things easier for the next knitter. Thank You

4 comments:

MadMad said...

It really does look great. The yarn shortage thing is a killer. How frustrating to get so close! Like how you made it work, though!

mek said...

Love your fix for running out of yarn - it looks terrific with that bit of other color at the edges!

Monica said...

Simply beautiful!

Larissa said...

How perfect is this for a day at the shore! Love how you made it work with the green. it is just lovely on you!