Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pumpkin Tea Cake

I made this Pumpkin Tea Cake for a family gathering last week and everyone loved it. It is a recipe handed down to me by my mother-in law. Everything she made was always so delicious. This has become a favorite fall classic.

Pumpkin Tea Cake

Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease and flour a tube pan.

Mix and beat together:

3 Cups sugar

1 Cup oil

3 Eggs

Then mix in:

1 can of pumpkin

In another bowl sift together:

3 Cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon each: ground cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg

Stir the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.

I think it is the addition of the ground cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg that sets this recipe apart from others that I have tried. I'm not kidding - this cake will disappear!

Here is some more pumpkin goodness that I acquired over the weekend.
These cakes are String Theory hand painted merino wool in a color called squash. How appropriate! I'm thinking the Tangled Yoke Cardigan would look nice in this color. But I really want to make something out of this book.
Stefanie Japel has done it again. There are several sweaters I'd like to make in this book. I really love this one. You can preview all the sweaters that are in the book on flickr here. So many sweaters, so little time.


sweetp said...

Love the colour of the wool and omg how perfect would it be for tangled yoke..yes!

I might try that recipe...pumpkins are finishing up here and I am so sick of them after eating them allllllllll winter... so might do a cake instead. Cept we dont get canned pumpkin how much/how big is the can? 1/4 pumpkin would do? thanks :D

At Home Mommy Knits said...

That pie looks delicious! Maybe with a cup of coffee??

Can't wait to see what you make from your new book, I was just perusing the patterns on Ravelry. Another book for my ever growing wish list :)

kim said...

Oh, I can almost smell the pumpkin spices in the air. I love, love that yarn color. So pretty.