Sunday, December 4, 2011

Poinsettia Pillow Tutorial

I love this Poinsettia Pillow from Pottery Barn, but it is no longer available.



Poinsetta Decorative Pillow

My DIY attitude forced me to come up with my own take on this pillow and I thought I'd share the process here.



Supplies needed to make one 16" envelope pillow:
1 Yard of Wool or Linen
¼ Yard of Wool Felt (or 4 - 9” x 12” squares of felt)
16” Pillow Form
7 - ½” bells
1 Skein of DMC Floss in a Coordinating Color
Embroidery Needle
Pencil or Marker for Tracing Leaf Pattern onto Felt
Pins
Scissors
Sewing Machine
Leaf Template



Directions:
Cut a 17” square out of the wool or linen for the front of the pillow. Print leaf template and cut out large and small leaf. Trace 5 large and 5 small leaves onto the wool felt and cut these out. Pin the 5 large leaves in place onto 17” square. Cut 30 inch lengths of the embroidery floss keeping all six strands together. Using a running stitch, stitch down the center of each leaf with the embroidery floss.



It doesn't have to be perfect. I like the effect a little gathering has on the finished leaves. Next, pin the 5 small leaves slightly askew into place and sew these down the center line in the same manner as the large leaves. Finally, sew the bells to the center of the pillow. The top is now finished.



To finish the pillow, cut 2 – 17” x 20” pieces of wool or linen. Fold them in half, so that you have two 17” x 10” pieces and press. Next place the front of the pillow facing up. Line the raw edges of the back pieces up with the raw edges of the front over lapping the folded edges in the middle. Using a ½ seam allowance sew all the way around the out edge of pillow.



Clip corners and turn the pillow to the right side by pulling it through the back opening. Stuff pillow form inside and you are done.



The tutorial and template are on the sidebar if you want to try making one.


Sharing with Craft-O-Maniac , Some Day Crafts , Skip to My Lou, Censational Girl and Design Dazzle




1 comment:

kim said...

How clever are you? PB seemed to be out of ALL the pillows I wanted, most notably the Winterberry one. I'm so mad. Maybe I will try my hand at some felting craftiness next week. Hope you have a great holiday, Mary!