Thursday, December 1, 2011

Wool Filled and Monogrammed Glass Ornaments

I don't know how it happened, but after several moves these past few years my heirloom ornaments ended up 300 miles away in the basement of our summer home. I needed a quick and inexpensive way to decorate my tree this year. They do say that necessity is the mother of invention. Can you see the light bulb above my head? Enter Jo-Ann Fabrics . I bought some of their clear glass ornaments. They were on sale $2.99 for EIGHT! No coupon necessary. I bought four packages.



I found some leftover yarn scraps and a knitting needle. I'm going for a gold, silver and bronze theme this year, but any colors would look great.



It couldn't be easier. Remove the metal hook anchor. Stuff the yarn into the glass ornaments. The knitting needle is helpful for stuffing and moving around the yarn inside the glass bulb. (They are delicate and I did break a few by dropping them.) Replace the metal hook anchor and add ribbon for hanging.



I really like the thick wool one the best.



I also bought some glitter style clear stickers for $1.79 (also at Jo-Anns) and made Pottery Barn inspired monogrammed ornaments by just sticking a letter to the outside of the bulb. Super easy. Now I'll have some time to make a few special ornaments and these will fill the tree.

Sharing this project with Wild Olive and Design Dazzle

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Inspired! Such a great idea!

MadMad said...

Those are great, Mary! You have such awesome ideas!

Mollie said...

Whoa...those look so pretty! I love the contrast of the hard glass and soft wool. Well done!