Monday, September 1, 2008

Tomato Pie

Tomato Pie
I'm really not known for my cooking, but every once in a while I find a recipe that everyone loves. Last summer, I had some of my very good friends over for lunch, and I made this Tomato Pie. Everyone loved it and wanted a copy of the recipe. (A sure sign that they really did like it.) I made this recipe a lot last summer, but then put it in the recipe box and forgot about it until my dear friend reminded me of it a few days ago. It is really easy and a great way to use up all those tomatoes that are coming off the vines right now. We had it with some soup and it was surprisingly hearty.


Recipe:

1 refrigerated Pie crust
1 1/2 cups Shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
5 tomatoes
1 Cup loosely packed fresh Basil leaves
4 cloves garlic
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp. ground pepper

Unroll pie crust into a glass or ceramic pie plate / quiche dish. Press edges and use fork to poke holes in bottom of crust before baking. Bake as directed.
Meanwhile - cut tomatoes into 1/2 thick slices and drain on a paper towel.

Take Basil leaves and garlic and use chopper / processor to coarsely chop together.

Mix mayo, grated Parm, 1 cup of Mozzarella, pepper and basil mixture in a mixing bowl, and set aside.

When crust comes out of oven, sprinkle 1/2 cup of the shredded Mozzarella on the bottom of the hot crust, and let melt.

( now turn down oven to 375 Degrees )

Arrange tomato slices on bottom of crust. Pile them up. More is better! Spread Mayo/cheese mix over entire top -trying to completely cover.

Bake for 35 -40 minutes - should be nicely browned and bubbling when you take it out. Let cool for at least 5 minutes. Cut and serve warm. There will be NO leftovers !

Hope everyone enjoyed their nice long weekend! I'm making progress on the second Spiral Boot Sock. I'm almost to the heel flap!

2 comments:

TLCknits said...

YUM!... Thx for the recipe.. I can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

That sounds DELICIOUS! Like Margherita pizza in pie form.

And, if you track down that Greek Gods Yogurt, I hope you like it. The best way I could describe it is - If yogurt and cheesecake could reproduce, this would be their progeny.

It seems everyone in my neck of the woods discovered it at the same time. My grocery story has been sold out since the weekend!