Thursday, August 21, 2008

Family and Small Closet Syndrome

When I married my husband over 17 years ago, he came with a starter family. He had three beautiful little girls. Well, they kindly accepted me (and all my flaws - not knowing anything about children except for being one once) into the family. They were even excited when a little brother was added to the mix a few years later.

They are each so special to me in different ways. We have shared many, many laughs over the years, and we've shed a few tears together too. They have grown into beautiful, intelligent and kind women. They each live out on their own now and I am very proud of them. I've come to cherish any time we get to spend together.

My oldest step daughter is a professional organizer, and has her own business. She also started a blog, and posts some really great organization tips. She came over yesterday to help me with my closets. Living in New England, it is quite common to come down with a case of Small Closet Syndrome, and I have a bad case of it. We have plenty of closets, but they are all small. HM has his own closet and I have two that I've made some lame attempts to organize. I'm a little embarrassed to show you my before pictures, but here it goes:
Important note: Please don't judge me by these pictures, I am a nice person and do try to keep a clean house. : )







Now you've seen the skeleton's in my closet. Embarrassing, I know, but you've got to understand that someone who enjoys crafts as much as I do, doesn't have time to clean closets too! Now for the less embarrassing after shots:




I really love how they turned out. I'm totally in love with the shoe organizer, clear bins and double closet rod. I think it will be much easier to keep clean and organized now, not to mention find things! Thank You, Wendy!

I hope you'll will pop over to her blog, and leave a message. She has some great tips, and if you ask her a question, let's just say about a craft space, she is happy to answer it.


4 comments:

FunctionalPlaces said...

Your closets are cleaner than most I've seen! It was my pleasure to help out. Now if we can just get HM to sort through HIS clothes...

Philigry said...

the closet looks wonderful! good luck to your daughter. I will go check out her blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love organization. I just wish I had more space for it. Unfortunately, I think I need to purge some things myself... I really enjoyed this post and reading your stepdaughter's site as well. Thanks!

Jessica Levitt said...

I do NOT judge someone based on the cleanliness of their house...closets or otherwise. I'm much too messy myself. My closets aren't TOO out of control but only because they're pretty big. But I do wish they were all picture perfect like yours...