Monday, August 11, 2008

Summer Reading

Son told me that the summer reading book, Kite Runner, was not mandatory. You could read a different book of your choice instead if you wanted. Well, I saw the assistant principal the other day, and ask her, "Oh, by the way, is Kite Runner a mandatory summer read." She replied, "Yes, they will be evaluated on it when they return from summer break." Kids! I should have know better. I ran out and picked up a copy. I figured out he has to read 20 pages a day in order to finish it in the next few weeks.

I was cleaning up all the scraps from my last project, and thinking about the book that needed to be read, and an idea came to me. I layered a scrap of fabric right side up, a layer of batting, and then a scrap of fabric right side down. I did a little random quilting playing with the stitches on my machine. Then I cut the scraps into one inch strips and then cut the strip into 6" lengths. I zig zag stitched around the edges and I had a book mark! I showed son the book mark I made for him, and you know what he did, he gave me a big, genuine smile and said, "You made this for me, thank you." I love that kid.


Of course I couldn't just stop at one.
This would be a great project for a child who is comfortable with their mother's sewing machine, and needs a one hour project. Playing with the different machine stitches was fun. But you don't need fancy stitches, straight stitches and zig zag stitches would work just fine.

I promise my next post will be about knitting! Maybe I should have called myself Lucky Crafter!


3 comments:

FunctionalPlaces said...

That is too cute. I think those would sell like hotcakes at The Book Rack, if you're feeling entrepreneurial!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

How fun. Those are so cute.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that book is incredible. What cute bookmarks, and how great that your son appreciated his!