Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Scrappy Belt and Blueberry Muffins

I found this new blog. I can't remember what led me to it. It was probably one of those one link leads to another kind of things. It's called Juicy Bits. Jessica is so talented and creative. One of her tutorials is how to make a scrappy summer belt. This was a great use of scraps, and it was fun and quick to make. I started it after dinner and was finished in a little over an hour and a half. The only thing I did different was I used iron on interfacing (only because I didn't have any of the sew-on type the pattern called for). This actually worked out well, because I ironed all the pieces onto the interfacing strip and then did all the sewing at once. I used some Kaffe Fassett scraps. I really wanted to go crazy and make more, but I summoned up some self control.


I bought a quart of wild Maine blueberries. I know - yummy! Yesterday, I made some blueberry pancakes, and today I made some blueberry muffins. They are all gone now (sad). Everyone has a favorite blueberry muffin recipe, but I'll share mine. It's from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. I received it as a gift at my wedding shower, and it has always been one of my goto cookbooks. Everything I have ever made from it has come out good.

Fannie Farmer Blueberry Muffins

2 cups flour; 1 tablespoon baking powder; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1/2 cup sugar; 1 egg, slightly beaten; 1 cup milk; 1/4 cup melted butter (I think the butter is what makes them taste so good!); 1 cup blueberries.

Preheat oven to 375*F. Butter muffin pans. Mix 1 3/4 cups of the flour (reserve 1/4 flour and sprinkle over the berries), baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Add the egg, milk, and butter, stirring only enough to dampen the flour; the batter should not be smooth. Fold in the blueberries tossed with the 1/4 cup of flour. Spoon into the muffin pans, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Back to cereal tomorrow!

3 comments:

sweetp said...

I totally love your belt. What a clever idea!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Thanks for the recipe. Blueberries are a big hit in this house so I'll have to try it.

Jessica Levitt said...

Hey! You made one! I'm so happy to see that. Yours is the first one I've seen since I put out the tutorial.

Thanx so much for the link and praise...