Sunday, August 10, 2008

Picnic Blanket with Rock Pockets

When I saw this Sew Mama Sew tutorial from Erin of House on Hill Road fame, I knew immediately I wanted to try it. This is something my son would have loved when he was little. He was always collecting rocks. Whenever I did the laundry, I always had to be sure to check all his pockets. I would always find his treasures in those pockets - rocks, bottle caps, sticks, elastics, a half eaten cracker - just to name a few of the things I would find.

My brother and his wife have an eighteen month old son who reminds me so much of my son. We were at a family birthday party a few weeks ago, and he kept showing me the rocks he would find - so cute! So I decided to make this picnic blanket for them. I know it will get lots of use, because they are always going to the park, and I know the pockets will get filled with all kinds of treasures found during the day.

Erin did a great job on this tutorial. It is very detailed and includes lots of pictures. This would make a wonderful first quilt project, because it is pretty easy. While I was making it on my dining room table, I thought it would make a beautiful tablecloth. It would also be big enough for a childs bed quilt (60" x 60"). I used scraps for the back, which makes it reversible. Totaly by mistake, the rock pockets ended up on what I would call the front, and I thought about fixing it for a few minutes, but then decided it was okay because the blanket is reversible.


Thank you, Erin!

9 comments:

house on hill road said...

it is absolutely, beautiful, mary! i like the pockets on the top, too. well done!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

I am so in love with your quilt. I have that tutorial saved on my computer in the hopes that this winter I will tackle it. I have never made a quilt but would love to someday. Was it hard? How long did it take you?

FunctionalPlaces said...

Oh, that came out great! I am sure they will absolutely love it.

Philigry said...

i love this! beautiful job.

TLCknits said...

I love this! I can barely sew a straight line.. so maybe, I can tackle this...

Anonymous said...

Great fabrics! Very cute!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic tutorial! Thanks for the link. Your's has come out beautiful.

beki said...

It's beautiful!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful blanket!